Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to get insight rather than silver!
Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
Marriage is hard sometimes. Truly a test of every part of you…the selfishness and pride you wish would leave you just creeps up and nips at your spouse until they start to nip back. It can get down right ugly at times…but God has a way!
Our selfishness and pride can be rough sins to admit and remove. Being prideful can cause you to form an ice over your once warm heart. I say all this as a reminder to myself…something that I am learning about and growing in…with the help of much wiser and more experienced counsel of course! I am learning that I am not the women I should seek counsel from when dealing with my own marriage. My sight is clouded by the above selfishness and pride that started the whole mess. So if you, like me, are looking for wisdom and counsel for your own marriage, here is a list of the top articles and women that have changed my perspective. Their advice is something I go back to constantly to remind myself of what I believe in and what I am here to do…to be married as God envisioned me to be.
- Prayer : Your own time with God is powerful and should be your first go to. Of course, that pride and selfishness from before might still be festering so if you are in need of marriage prayer but can’t bring yourself to it, this group is an incredible source to help you through. Faith-Focused Wives is a closed group so you will need to request to be a part of their prayer thread.
- Bible Devotionals : Working through devotionals related to marriage have been a powerful game changer in my own journey.
- Why Respect : This one has always been tough for me as I had learned that respect was the be earned …but God sees this differently for our marriages.
- 101 Ways to Show Respect: For those like me who aren’t quite sure what respect actually looks like, this list will truly change your thinking and hopefully your actions as well!
- Sheila Wray Gregoire: This is a blog that I love to go to in times of need. She talks about it all!! I mean “it” all!
- Rachel Wojo: This women has encouraged me through her writing and life and I have had the honour of requesting prayer and she responded immediately, praying for me almost weekly! Love her heart!
- Darlene Schacht: Not only is her love of God evident in her writing, but she’s also a Canadian…in Manitoba…that’s all I need to know.
- The Day I Left My Marriage: An amazing story that brings your marriage and vows into perspective. (Note: This site tends to take a few minutes to load…but be patient, it’s worth the time!)
~So where do you turn in times of trouble? Who are the wise men and women in your life? Comment below and share with me your articles, advice and quick go to’s to gain perspective when you are in need of wisdom and counsel regarding marriage. I’d love to add to my list of help! Together we can do so much more…